Tuesday, July 21, 2009

1969 - The Year of Miracles!

I was 10 years old in 1969. That was the year that everything changed. My eyes were opened to the world and all it's wonder and to the amazing glory that is life.

I had already encountered sorrow and the loss of a friend in Viet Nam. His Name was Johnny Thorp and he was killed in October of 1968. We used to play baseball and football in the street outside of our houses in suburban America. In this case it was Westbury, Long Island, New York.

I was a Jets Fan. They became the AFL champions and were facing the NFL champs and overwhelming favorite Baltimore Colts in SuperBowl III. This was January, 1969 (The Year of Miracles). As Joe Namath predicted, The Jets won!

When the baseball season began, I had no expectations that The Mets would do any better than their history suggested. They started out strong and by July 4, they were in 2nd place, still far away from the first place Cubs. My grandpa, James Edgar, was dying of cancer. He lived in Elmhurst, Queens, NY. It was a stones throw from Shea Stadium. He was a World War I hero and he loved his Mets. I remember telling him that I think the Mets can do it! He was less optimistic.

On July 20, we put a man on the moon!! If we could do that, we could do anything!!!

On August 15, 500,000 people gathered in Bethel, NY, for The Woodstock music and art festival! For 3 days, Bethel was the 3rd biggest city in New York! There was NO violence! Just Peace, Music, and friendship. That's a miracle!!

On September 24, The NY Mets clinched first place in the Eastern Division of The National League.

On October 2nd, My Grandpa died.

Our Mets beat the Braves in The NLCS and Won The World Series from the overwhelming favorite Baltimore Orioles. It was a good year for New York, a tough one for Baltimore.

1969 was a year of miracles! It shaped my life and my outlook on nearly everything. I look back and remember that year more fondly than most. It was truly the best of times and the worst of times. I choose to remember the best.

Dave

No comments: