Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A COUNTRY DIVIDED AGAINST ITSELF.......

I watched possibly the saddest thing I have ever seen in my life in the great country that I love. It was on September 11, 2010, on the streets of New York City. On the anniversary of the worst day in most of our lives, there were two groups of patriotic Americans, screaming at each other. It was a sad and direct contrast to the events of September, 11, 2001.

On 9/11/2001, we were not different tribes, cultures, nationalities, or religions. We were all Americans. We helped each other, we saved each other, and many died helping each other. We all felt a bond and realized that we are in this together.

Now 9 years have passed since that horrible day. It seems as though the American family has divided. Politics and hate seem to be the rule of today. In the recent bill in congress to allow extended medical benefits to 9/11 first responders, the republicans voted unanimously against it. Sadly, 14 democrats did as well so it did not pass. I guess a multi billion dollar bailout to the banks is OK but a few bucks for our heroes is not.

I write, I speak, I sing for the liberty of all. Again, I am called a "liberal" as if that is a bad thing. Old friends talk, sometimes walk away, as though I am somehow the enemy. They embrace, and sometimes chase, the cause of those who hate. I know that hate is not in their heart. I love them just the same. I am sure the anger they feel is borne out of pain. Pain will only fester and grow without relief. An old friend sang about love on 9/11. I know it is his belief.

So why was it so astoundingly sad that two groups of patriotic Americans were screaming at each other on 9/11/10? They were divided on the validity of Our Constitution.

" Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievences."

When we are hurt so badly due to the fiendish acts of a few, to the point where we are SCREAMING at each other over the validity of the greatest document ever written by men.....
Then The Evil Has WON.

DD

No comments: