Wednesday, December 31, 2008

50 years!

On December 30, 2008, I became 50 years old. Just the thought of that number makes me cringe. When my Dad turned 50, he was ancient. I was only 10 at the time in 1969 and we were already worlds apart.
By then I had already discovered Rock and Roll. My parents were more enamored with the music they grew up with and they couldn't fathom the new music that was pervasive everywhere. I actually tried, many times, to turn them on to my favorites like The Beatles, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, The Who, The Byrds, Bob Dylan, and other performers that I thought they might enjoy. They wouldn't even listen.

My parents were supportive though, so when I was 13, they bought me an electric guitar (a Univox) and a small amp. They paid for my lessons. They had sent me earlier to accordion and clarinet lessons as well which ultimately failed. The guitar lessons proved to be a bit more successful.

My guitar teacher was a man named John Wynn. He taught out of his mother's basement in Carle Place, Long Island, New York. He played profesionally in wedding type bands and made a decent living playing and teaching music. I went there religiously every Tuesday after school and learned the basics of playing guitar.
There was a student who had the lesson right before me. I would sit in the basement waiting room and hear amazing sounds. I must admit, that after hearing this kid, I was very intimidated. He was a chubby kid and he was about 11 years old. We eventually met and hung out a few times. We went to Matthew Music, which was a store in the old Roosevelt Field Mall in Garden City, NY. This kid played every great guitar in the store and completely floored the staff who were all great players too. His name was Steven Vai. He was my friend.

Tonight there was a ceremony at The Kennedy Center in Washington honoring several great artists. Among them was The Who. It was a moving ceremony which included their rich history, some comic moments by their presenter Jack Black, homage's by several artists, and a loving tribute by the NYC Finest and Bravest. In the days following 9/11/01, The Who were the first band to pay tribute to our heroes of that day.

I took my daughter Jessica to her very first rock concert. It was The Who playing their revival of possibly the greatest album of all time, Quadrophenia. She was 15. I was 36. I told her that she was ruined for all time because she would never see a concert as good as this. I took all my kids to see The Who, including Dylan, who saw them at Madison Square Garden when he was 9!

Music has always been a big part of my life. On my 50th birthday, My wife Magge, all 5 of my kids, David, Jessica, Ian, Alison, Dylan, plus my daughter in law Diana, got up on stage and played and sang "Teach Your Children" for ME!!!

So I guess I'm 50. In my head I will always be 18.

I Hope I Die Before I Get Old!!!!!

DD

No comments: